Vegetarian Fajita Pasta
This Vegetarian Fajita Pasta is loaded with veggies and lots of flavor. Packed with fire-roasted tomatoes, black beans, colorful bell peppers, and topped with cilantro and avocado, this is one of our favorite healthy pasta dishes. Make it as a one-pot dish in the Instant Pot or stovetop!
2 Tbsp Imperfect olive oil
1 c onion diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 c fire-roasted diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
2 Tbsp taco or fajita seasoning
1 c black beans, pre-cooked (canned or fresh)
8 oz pasta shells (about 3 cups)
3/4 c green bell pepper, sliced
3/4 c red bell pepper, sliced
3/4 c yellow bell pepper, sliced
1/4 c sour cream
1 c cheddar cheese
1/4 c cilantro, to garnish
1 avocado, diced
1 lime, cut into wedges
3 c broth (stovetop), or 2 c broth (Instant Pot)
- Start the Instant Pot in sauté mode and let it heat. Add olive oil, onions, garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, black beans, and taco seasoning.
- Add pasta shells and broth, stir well. Press cancel and close lid with vent in sealing position.
- Pressure cook at high pressure for 4 minutes. When the cooking time is done, quick release the pressure manually. Adjust cooking time depending on the pasta used, see notes.
- Add bell peppers, sour cream and cheese. Stir well with the cooked pasta.
- Place back lid and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove lid and garnish with cilantro. Serve topped with avocado and lime.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes, black beans and taco seasoning.
- Add pasta shells and broth. Cook for about 10-12 minutes until the pasta is almost cooked. Stir at about 4 minute intervals. Adjust cooking time based on package directions.
- Add bell peppers, sour cream, and cheese. Stir well with the pasta.
- Cover with a lid and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, remove lid, and garnish with cilantro. Serve topped with avocado and lime.
Use veggie broth to keep this recipe vegetarian or swap in chicken broth for a hearty flavor punch! If you're using the Instant Pot, make sure all the pasta is submerged in the liquid before pressure cooking. Typically the cooking time for pasta in the Instant Pot is half the time on the package minus 1 minute.