- 2 Imperfect beets
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic gloves, roasted
- 1 Imperfect lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 pounds Semolina Artisanal Pasta Fusilli
- Mint, for garnish
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Meanwhile, peel and quarter the beets. Place on a baking sheet with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 tablespoon of salt. Wrap garlic cloves in aluminum foil with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Place on the baking sheet with the beets. Put both in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until fork tender. Let cool.
- While the beets and garlic are cooking, toast the almonds in a sauté pan over medium heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Zest the lemon and juice half. Save the other half for another use.
- Pulse all the ingredients, except for the mint in a food processor until combined. Drizzle in the remaining olive oil and pulse until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Cook 2 pounds of pasta in heavily salted, rapidly boiling water. Drain. Mix in 1/4 to 1/2 cup of pesto to coat. Serve room temperature or cool, garnished with mint and more cheese, if desired.
This pesto goes a long way. Leftovers are great on grilled bread with a drizzle of oil and some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.