- 1 Tbsp Imperfect olive oil
- 3 Imperfect red onions (yellow onions work too!)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped (rosemary works too!)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Thinly slice your onions.
- Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat and then add your onions, herbs, sugar, and salt, cooking until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar, stirring to scrape any onion bits from the bottom of the pan--you’re deglazing like a pro!
- Reduce the heat to low and cook until the onions are very soft and you have a thick, glossy jam.
- Serve on your next sandwich or wrap!
The amount of sugar added is up to you. Onions will caramelize naturally, but sugar intensifies and accelerates this process. Try using agave or honey in place of sugar if you like. Sweet spices like a stick of cinnamon or a piece of star anise will make your onions taste extra sweet and memorable. You can also use up shallots or leeks by caramelizing them with the onions, too!