#NewYearNoWaste Broccoli and Rice Bake
In the spirit of #NewYearNoWaste, our friend Erin Passarella created a easy, cozy dish that celebrates all parts of the broccoli from the florets all the way down to the stalks. This vegan, gluten-free meal is both delicious and waste reducing. Count us in! Serves 6.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 2 cups Imperfect short grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 Imperfect broccoli (stalks and florets cut into small to medium pieces. Stalks chopped into broccoli rice.)
- 1 tsp pink salt
Cheese sauce (makes 3 cups)
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 cup carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp pink salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Add short grain brown rice, vegetable broth, garlic, onion and salt to a 13 x 9 baking dish or something similar in size.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Boil carrots and potatoes until soft.
- Strain carrots and potatoes.
- Toss all cheese sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until you come to a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Prepare the broccoli by cutting the tops into small-med sized florets.
- Cut the stalks in half or in quarters and toss them into a food processor(or blender), pulse until the stalks are chopped into rice-sized pieces.
- After your rice has been baking for 45 minutes, take the baking dish out of the oven and fold in 1 1/2 cups of cheese sauce and broccoli rice. Mix well. Then top the rice mixture with the florets.
- Cover and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Once the rice is done baking, drizzle the top with the desired amount of cheese sauce and enjoy!