No dish gets us as excited about the start of summer quite like grilled corn! One of our favorite ways to serve grilled corn is this salad inspired by the Mexican street corn known as "Elotes." The wonderful thing about this type of salad is that it's as adaptable as it is sweet and delicious. If mayo is too heavy for you, you can leave it out and go heavy on the lime juice for a zestier version. You can similarly adjust the spice level to what you and your guests are excited to eat. You can also incorporate other produce that you have around like avocados or green onions. This dish makes a wonderful addition to any summer picnic, barbecue, or potluck. You'll find yourself making it all summer long as it tends to get gleefully devoured as soon as it's put out.
- 6 ears of Imperfect corn, silks and husks removed
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (feel free to substitute fresh chiles if you have them!)
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small Imperfect red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 c)
- 3/4 c crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 c coarsely chopped fresh Imperfect cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or 1/4 teaspoon if you'd like it more spicy)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375º. Cut corn kernels from cobs (try this neat trick!). Lightly oil a baking sheet. Spread corn in single layer on prepared pan.
- Roast 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown, stirring twice. Meanwhile, in large bowl, stir together chiles, garlic, onion, 1/2 cup cheese, cilantro, lime juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, chili powder, cayenne and salt.
- Let corn cool slightly, then toss with mayonnaise mixture until well combined. Serve sprinkled with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.