Summer Cherry and Cherry Tomato Cobbler
Recipe and photo by The Little White Table!
The abundance of cherries and cherry tomatoes seem is spectacular this time of year, but rarely are the two combined! Why not put them together? The meeting of sweet and savory comes together in this cobbler to highlight the wide range in variety and flavor of these deep red fruits.
- 1 lb dark cherries (pitted)
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 c almond flour
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c almond milk
- 6 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Salt, to taste
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
3. In a large bowl, toss the pitted cherries with the cherry tomatoes, honey, and vanilla. Pour into the baking dish.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add the butter or coconut oil), and using your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until pea-sized crumbles form. Add the almond milk and mix until a dough forms.
5. Using a large spoon, dollop the dough over the fruit, spaces and imperfections encouraged. Bake until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling at the center, about 35 minutes.
6. Transfer the cobbler to a rack and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Any variety of cherry will shine in this recipe, but we especially love the dark cherries because they have a richer and more intense flavor and color, which becomes a beautiful deep scarlet once baked. Try topping this crumble with your favorite vanilla ice cream (we love Frankie & Jo’s)!