CARROT ZA’ATAR WITH MINT & SOURDOUGH CROUTONS
If you haven't heard of The Little White Table (@thelittlewhitetable) yet, we're excited to introduce you to Soleil and Greta, who are on a mission to teach people how to cook nutritiously and creatively. We're also excited to introduce you to their stunning and equally tasty carrot za'atar recipe! This simple and healthy recipe is the ultimate flavor show-stopper. Happy cooking!
Author's Note on Za'atar: "Za’atar is a traditional, popular spice blend of the Middle East usually consisting of thyme, marjoram, oregano, white sesame seeds, salt and sumac, though you’ll find different variations across the Mideast. It is often used as a condiment for meats and vegetables, sprinkled over pita bread or swirled with labneh, but it can be used in a multitude of ways, even as medicine! In the kitchen, it’s that spice in the back of your pantry shelf that you are so intrigued to use but not really sure how, which is exactly why we decided to bring it out to create this recipe. Za’atar is tangy and herbal, with a bit of nuttiness, so it’s nice to have something a little sweet to balance it out which is why carrots are such a classic and common pairing to really highlight the za’atar."
- 1 lb of tri-colored carrots
- 1 sourdough loaf
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Za’atar
- 1 small bunch of mint (washed and patted dry)
- 4 eggs
- 1 Tbsp white vinegar
- 4-6 cups water
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut sourdough into 1″ cubes.
- Brush cube with 1 Tbsp olive oil or pour olive oil onto baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and toss bread until evenly covered with olive oil.
- Sprinkle sea salt to taste over cubes.
- Put in oven for 10 min., or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spiralize carrots into medium-sized bowl and toss with 1 Tbsp olive oil + za’atar.
- Spread spiralized carrots evenly on baking sheet and roast for 10 min. until carrots are tender and crisp.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 3 min.
Add a poached egg on top for a perfect weeknight dinner!