Photo and recipe by dessert guru Katie Olsen of Katiebird Bakes!
Blueberry season is here and we couldn’t be more excited! We’ve partnered with Homegrown Organics to find a home for the adorably small blueberries that supermarkets won’t buy, and what better home is there for blueberries than a pie? In this easy dessert, fresh blueberries are the star, baking down into a bubbling sweet filling with a crisp brown sugar oat topping. Don’t forget the ice cream!
4 c fresh blueberries*
1/4 c granulated sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp lemon juice*
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 c brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c all-purpose flour*
1/2 c rolled (old-fashioned) oats*
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c sliced almonds*
*Item available to add to your Imperfect Produce box
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place the blueberries in an 8’’x8’’ or 2 qt baking dish.
2. Sprinkle sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice over the blueberries in the dish. Gently toss it all together until evenly combined.
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Stir in brown sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and salt until thoroughly combined. Stir in the sliced almonds last.
2. Scatter the oat topping evenly over the blueberries. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and you can see the blueberries bubbling up the sides.
3. Let cool for a few minutes before serving warm with vanilla ice cream. See how long it lasts.
Recipe Notes and Variations
In the unlikely event of leftovers, store them in the fridge for a few days, and reheat individual servings in the microwave. If you don’t have the means or time to make the oat topping, you can substitute your favorite granola or even chopped walnuts or pecans instead.